Thursday, March 26, 2015

Give me JUST JESUS





With April fast approaching comes the celebration of Easter, and along with Easter comes Easter egg hunts, bunnies and all this other rainbow colored stuff for the kiddos.  This got me thinking about a scene in a movie from the late 90’s titled “Simon Birch,” basically the movie is about a young boy with stunted growth, he is convinced that God has a great purpose for him.  The scene I was thinking about goes like this:
 
SIMON: I said, what does coffee and donuts have to do with God?
REV. RUSSEL: They're merely refreshments so people can socialize and talk about upcoming events.     
SIMON: Who ever said church needs a continental breakfast?

So, Simon and his family were at their church on a certain Sunday when Simon noticed that everyone was too pre-occupied with donuts and coffee, especially the Reverend, they had forgotten why or for who they were really there for in the 1st place.
 
Call me religious, but sometimes I feel like Simon, “What does coffee and donuts have to do with God!!!”  I feel that people have forgotten what being a Christian is really all about, or who and why we are here for…

“For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.” 1 Corinthians 6:20
 
Don’t get me wrong, I get it why churches participate or put on an Easter egg hunt, Halleluiah night (in place of Halloween) etc. I understand, they do it as an outreach to reach the loss.  But, since when do we have to compromise with the world for souls to get saved???

Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?”  2 Corinthians 6:14-15
 
One note about today’s posting, I’m not here to give you a history lesson or convince you that an Easter bunny or Easter egg hunt is bad, that’s up to you to decide.  However, I’m simply here to share my thoughts based on the word of God.  The bible teaches us to study to show thy self-approved unto God… (2 Timothy 2:15).
 
As a parent it breaks my heart to deny my children to participate in their school or even our own church’s Easter egg hunt.  However, they are too young to understand the true reason why we don’t allow them to participate.  To them all they see is the colorful eggs, a cute bunny etc. but, how can I allow them to participate when I know the true pagan roots of this activity.  As a child of God it is my responsibility to protect them and show them right from wrong.
 
“They (the priests) shall teach my people the difference between the holy and the common, and show them how to distinguish between the unclean and the clean.”  Ezekiel 44:23

I’m not one to spiritualize everything, but there are certain things that you just can’t deny.  For example the symbol of a bunny, we all know it’s a symbol of fertility used by various cultures throughout history, it has no place in celebrating the resurrection of our Lord!  As for the Easter eggs, I admonish you please study its pagan roots as well.


Bottom line, if you truly love God you are not going to compromise with the world.  It doesn’t matter how cute something is or even if everyone else is doing it.  As for me and my house we are going to serve the Lord!  Not according to our ways, but His ways!!!
 
Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' Matthew 22:37
 
Again, I ask “what does coffee and donuts have to do with God?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment